Wednesday, April 8, 2009

easing my way down from the ledge

Last night I dreamt I was stranded miles above the earth, clinging to the feeble top of a swaying spindly tree while fear nipped at me from head to toe. A large crowd had gathered waaaayyy down below and I could hear the distant pleas of people telling me to come down.

Easy for them to say.

This was one of those dreams where, when you awake, you have that unsettled feeling that something is really wrong.

I laid still for a second, eyes big and thoughts darting. "Ok, ok, what's wrong with me?" Then came the flood of relief. "THANK GOD I'm not flailing recklessly atop a woozy fairytale plant."

This, as one might imagine, was comforting.

But, it's not a bad way to start the day because honestly how much worse can things get when you begin by thinking you're waving around on a reedy limb at an ungodly altitude. Or, I guess it would be a godly altitude. Hah.

Anyway, nothing elusive about this dream. You'd think my subconscious could throw me some weightier metaphors to interpret.

In other news, yesterday we completed our final inspection requirement. Great big planetoid HOORAY for that and one more reason to consider coming down from my figurative ledge.

This last inspection item wouldn't be noteworthy but for the service guy mentioning he'd never before seen anything like our air ducts.

As in, they were so jammed full of clumped dog hair that he nearly needed to bring in special equipment.

Truly, this surprises me not. And truthfully I'm thankful for whatever dog hair darted into those ducts because honestly there have been days where ONE MORE strand of dog hair and I'd have lost it. You'd have heard puppy squeals across the Great Divide.

Speaking of dogs, this is Uncle Buster, my Grandpa's dog. The more my dogs torture me with hair, saliva, blood, and other reckless behavior, the more I love Uncle Buster. He doesn't lick, doesn't incessantly demand attention, nor does he shed all that much. And, there's only one of him.

I like Uncle Buster. In fact, I'd come down off the ledge just for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment