Wednesday, April 1, 2009

a fool for a good challenge

Today may be April Fools' Day to y'all but for me it signifies a much more grand occasion.

Today, I am reunited with my debit card. My old BFF. The source of sassy apparel, funky shoes, and fetching jewelry.

Yesterday marked the conclusion of a 'no shopping' challenge I participated in with a few friends. The terms of the challenge? Seven months: no clothing, no accessories, no unnecessary 'product'. Basically anything you use from the shower to the front door? Don't buy it.

I've done this sort of thing before and strangely I like it. At the end of the day, I don't really like to own much. I start feeling claustrophobic if I'm too out-numbered by my possessions. I know I'm all married and conquered now but I still like the feeling that at any moment I can grab my duffel bag, toss in the 32 things I own, and hit the road.

Of course I can't, nor do I want to. But still, sometimes, I look around at all the stuff I have and take stock. How many unread books do I already own? How many shirts have never left the closet? Occassionally that impulse to buy, to over-consume, gets out-of-whack and I begin to feel there is just TOO MUCH, of everything. I feel like a poor steward. When that happens, there's nothing like a little retail deprivation to get perspective and make one appreciate all the great things he or she already has.

This happened back in 2002. I decided to stop shopping on January 1 for one year. And that time I meant no shopping. Sayoonara to clothing, books, CDs, DVDs, jewelry, home items, technology. Everything.

The week before that challenge I found myself at the mall, casing the joint trying to anticipate everything I might need (and want) for an entire year. Let me just say, my little VW? Impressive how much one can fit in there.

That challenge, sadly, ended a lot like it started: with me at the mall shelling out a whole lotta dough. Amusingly, my credit union called while I was standing outside Nordstrom to inquire whether I was in possession of my debit card.

"Um, yes, unfortunately I am." All guilt-ridden I felt compelled to say, "But I haven't used it in TEN MONTHS." I'm sure the bank representative was like, "Okay, whatever crazy shopping lady."

Ultimately though these challenges aren't overly difficult for me. I like the break from shopping. I like being forced to simply appreciate what I already have. I like the accomplishment of resisting the forceful "more, more, more" messages of our consumer culture.

But today, at the end of seven months of successful anti-retail, I also like the feeling of that little debit card, twitching around in my pocket, wondering just what we're going to buy first. To be honest though, I really have no idea. I feel pretty content at the moment. And for that I can say, mission accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment