Thursday, May 28, 2009

rush hour

From slogging up I-5, crawling over I-90, inching up I-405, and trudging across 520, it's an understatement to say my Colorado commute is a colossal upgrade over my Seattle drive to work.

My daily jaunt to work takes about 35 minutes but my scenery along the way has improved considerably.

No freeways. No grid-locked traffic. No road-rage impaired drivers. No Mariners traffic, no floating bridge closures, no 405 s-curves.

Instead ...

Horses. Sheep. Miniature donkey's. Chickens. Wide open spaces. Hot air balloons. Lakes. Mountains.

Somebody pinch me.

I've skidded into work at 7:59 the last two days because along my way I'm continually sidetracked by something that demands photographic attention.

Today it was a hot air balloon. It came into view just after I left home, still on the ground just across the field from where I was driving. I haven't yet mastered the highways surrounding our house so I was whipping around dirt roads like a mad woman trying to reach where it was before it launched. I didn't make it in time but it was impressive nonetheless to see it lifting up, up, and away.

Yesterday I almost ran over a chicken.

I wonder what tomorrow will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment