Thursday, May 14, 2009

clicking my heels. sort of.

Colorado.

In a blink-of-an-eye sort of way, here I am. My license plate, driver's license and wardrobe haven't yet caught up with my new locale and to be honest the dizzying nature of the past several months has me a bit fuzzy headed about exactly where home is ... Burien? Twisp? the couch I shared with Uncle Buster?

I have a wisp of nostalgia for them all.

But here I am, reunited with Husband, Dogs, and Belongings and faced with a similar challenge as five years ago: how do I change absolutely everything my cute little husband has done to our home without alienating him? My task begins this weekend and I am thankful at least this time I don't have to contend with bright orange and black-and-brown striped walls.

Yesterday, after taking my sister-in-law and nieces to the airport, I officially began to look around and start the process of making here home. With family by my side for my induction to Colorado life, it has really felt more like a vacation than a move.

The four of us had a fantastic trip out here and my nieces proved to be great little road trippers in the making. As always, they amaze me with their easygoing dispositions, especially considering 23 hours spent in an itty bitty car.

We made the journey with no maps, timelines, or plans for much of anything. Our days included meandering and sight-seeing which made for lots of late night driving.

Somewhere, deep in nowhere western Wyoming, we decided to drive through the night in order to maximize our play time the following day. We pulled over around midnight on a curvy mountain road and changed into comfy clothes.

The four of us, at various stages of undress in the middle of the road beneath a bright starry sky, is a memory I'll never forget.

Here are our two backseat road trippers at some point that night.


























However, the most eventful segment of our evening lay ahead of us. On a two-lane highway between Yellowstone and Jackson, WY, we began to share the road with more elk than I have seen in my lifetime. For 40 miles our little green VW weaved and lurched in the darkness around, between and beside hundreds of elk.

Our original plan to drive a great distance through the night quickly dissolved as we realized that these 40 miles pretty much would take us the entire night. Between the elk and the lone truck of creepy redneck cowboys who stopped beside us to "see if we were OK" we were more than alert for those forty miles.

It was too dark to take photos of the elk, but here are some other photos from earlier in the day while we were at Yellowstone.













our other roadway companions





















watching Old Faithful





















peering at elk across the Yellowstone River

The drive through the park passed too quickly and I'm currently devising a plan to make it back to Yellowstone for a longer stay. My biggest problem these days is figuring out just how to do all my vacationing with a mere three weeks of vacation a year.

How exactly do people in the real world survive with such restrictions?

No comments:

Post a Comment